Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My Reading (2008-2009)

I am mega-proud of myself for reading 18 books this year (obviously, as a student, I spend my life reading, but I just mean reading for pleasure). This beats the previous year’s total by about 18 books.

Here are the books I read, together with the language I read them in (for my own benefit). Books marked with an asterisk (*) are not available in English yet, but will be soon, those marked with two asterisks (**) are not currently planned to be released in English as far as I’m aware.

United Kingdom
Dave Gorman’s Googlewhack Adventure (English) Dave Gorman
Friends Like These (English) Danny Wallace
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (Faroese) Mark Haddon
Man and Boy (English) Tony Parsons
One for My Baby (English) Tony Parsons
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Faroese) C.S. Lewis

Australia
Insane: The Stories of Crazy Salvos Who Changed the World (English) Nealson Munn and David Collinson
Paradise Lost (English) Kathy Marks

United States
Down Under (English) Bill Bryson

Iceland
Sons of Dust** (German) Arnaldur Indriðason
Tainted Blood (Icelandic) Arnaldur Indriðason
Silence of the Grave (Danish) Arnaldur Indriðason
Arctic Chill (English) Arnaldur Indriðason

Sweden
Secrets in the Fire (Faroese) Henning Mankell
Playing with Fire (Faroese) Henning Mankell
The Fury in the Fire* (Faroese) Henning Mankell
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish) Stieg Larsson (MEGA proud of myself here: with 567 pages, this is by far the longest book I’ve ever read in a foreign language).

Faroe Islands
Mild is the Faroese Summer Night** (Danish) Jógvan Isaksen (The language choice is unfortunately due to the availability of the copies in the library, but I’ve since bought it in Faroese and will re-read it when I can!)

Book Count: 18

I’m trying to read a lot of the ‘classics’ that I’ve never read – I’m going to try and get through the Narnia books this year, and The Hobbit is also on my list of books to read. I also want to make a start on The History of the Salvation Army, but I can’t see me reading all 8 volumes this year... If any of you have any suggestions as to books you think I should check out, please let me know!

1 comment:

Anna said...

Sadako will Leben by Karl Bruckner - read it in German.

Captain Corelli's Mandoline by Louis de Bernieres - the book's better than the movie BUT you don't get Nicholas Cage with an italian accent.